Thursday, July 21, 2011

Catcher in the Rye- Question 8

How in God’s name are people able to answer these questions about The Catcher in the Rye? The book was hardly even about anything. Most of my posts have been rants about how awful I thought the book was. I can not imagine having to stick to writing strictly about the question. I think it may be impossible.

So… the things that influenced the author… perhaps he once knew someone like Holden and thought it would be really neat if he could write an entire novel about someone like that. Then, he wrote an entire novel about someone like Holden. That is about all I can come up with. Maybe the author got really really depressed and thought he would write a book titled “The Adventures of a Self-Deprecating Teenager in New York.” Then, after he decided there really were not any adventures in the book, he renamed it something artistic sounding in the hopes that someone would read I because it sounded deep and meaningful.
I know I should be taking this more seriously, but this is the last post I have to write about that God awful book, and it is making me pretty happy. I thought I should get all of the criticism out of my system so I could stop ranting to my family about why they should never read it, because I do not think they ever would have read it anyway. I just really hate books that have no plot and annoying characters. After writing all of this, I am beginning to wonder what everyone else in the class thought of the book. Did they think it was as horrible as I do? If they actually liked it, I think my mind may silently blow up, and no one would ever know.

Now that I am finished, I am going to read my favorite book to get The Catcher in the Rye out of my poor little head. It really was a truly awful book.

Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown and, 1991. Print.

1 comment:

  1. I like the title you came up with - insightful. It speaks to the insecurities that most people have as they grow up. Holden is kind of a hyperbole of teen angst.

    ReplyDelete